22 February 2013

Down the Rabbit Hole, or Where I Wound Up

If you've used Google today, you know it's Edward Gorey's birthday.  The fancy illustration for today is wonderful.


Edward Gorey, the author of the world's very BEST alphabet primer, The Gashlycrumb Tinies. 

"A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
B is for Basil assaulted by bears."

You can read them all here: at Brainpickings.org

Or watch this charming animation.




How am I just finding this now?
(Image courtesy brainpickings.org)
My favorite is the letter N.  What a demise.
But here's the best part, at least for me. I had never found Brainpickings before, and now I have.... and I really like it.  Lots and lots of thoughts on the habit of reading and the art of writing. 

What did we do before we could find the answer to just about ANYTHING using a few keywords and a search engine?  Did we just remember everything?  Did we think and think and think and finally remember the song/film/band/author etc that we were trying to recall?

And so, with one swoop of a search, I find not just the item I wanted to see - the best, most morbid and delightful alphabet - but a whole website rich with content I can't wait to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment