28 November 2014

Yummy, Kitsch-y Pop Culture

What's better than Glinda the Good Witch?
The thank you note to Glinda from Dorothy Gale.

Better than 007?
Top Secret Notes regarding the fates of 001 through 006.

Better than the B-52s?
The letter from their real estate agent regarding the efforts to sell the Love Shack.  "I'll be honest, this property is what's known as a 'tough sell' in our business." (p. 166)  PRICELESS.

Yes, the title is Dear Luke, We need to talk.  Dad Darth

Oooh, yummy, silly, pop culture at its ooey, gooey best.  



With a cover this good, go ahead - judge it.
Endorsed by some of my favorite comics - Jim Gaffigan, John Hodgman, and Michael Ian Black - I couldn't pass this up at the library, and I couldn't read this without giggling.

Or waking my poor sleeping husband so I could read him Jay-Z's "99 Problems" (while I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe, and he couldn't understand me.  Typical of me ;-).

Other gems:

The transcript of the NPR "Fresh Air" interview with Popeye, Olive Oyl, and Bluto (you'll never think about "spinach" the same way again).

A note from the desk of Miss Othmar, otherwise known as the teacher to the Peanuts Gang.

The lost log entries of Captain James T. Kirk.

The OFFICIAL Rules of Fight Club.

If you're as much of a pop culture junkie as me, you'll love this book.  You have to be into pop culture to "get the joke."  And really, isn't pop culture kind of a joke anyway?

I was recently asked whether something was "postmodern" or not.  I'll be honest, there was a time about 20 years ago when I would have been able to answer that in a heartbeat.  (In my salad days, I wrote a surprisingly well-received academic paper: Wayne's World as a Postmodernist Narrative.) Maybe this is actually Post-Postmodernism (which, by the way, is a "thing") because it's actually poking fun and reworking aspects of ideas one could consider to be Post-Modernist, and in doing so, is anything but dreary, angry, or mean-spirited (which, in my opinion, postmodernism often can be.)

...Not sure if even I can wrap my head around that series of intellectual Russian nesting dolls, but I think you get the idea.

That this book is fun.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment