06 August 2012

Mumford & Sons - we love you!

Gentlemen of the Road was everything I had hoped for and more.

My husband and I celebrated our 16th anniversary on Friday.  We had a wonderful evening at First Friday ArtWalk downtown.

At David's Restaurant.
We went to David's (Monument Square) for a drink.


Later we had Thai food at Boda (Longfellow Square).  Try the skewers, they're great.

Outdoor seating at Boda!


ALL ABOARD FOR MUMFORD & SONS!
We took the bus from the Arts District.
(Easy-peasy... I REALLY ought to
 take the Metro Bus more often.)
A spectacular vista.

People were so fabulous and friendly.


A fellow named Brian McGregor was quoted in the PPH as saying the whole event had "class & sophistication."  WELL SAID, Brian.  Yeah, there were lines for food, but the people we waited in line with were great.  Chelsea from Long Island, NY, you are a FIERCE line guardian!


Quote of the Day: "There's water in beer."
The music was wonderful.  I'll admit, going in I wasn't acquainted with any music except for Mumford & Sons and a little bit of Dropkick Murphys.  But I'm going to hunt down more Haim and Apache Relay, for sure.  I can't say there was a band I didn't like.  But I was just so mellow, everything was great. 

I've seen lots of big concerts, including U2, Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Page & Robert Plant.  At those concerts, I knew every single song by heart.  But at this concert, it wasn't all about the music for me.  It was about the whole event.  Relaxing and having a great time... with my husband, who is a Mumford & Sons fan for life now ;-)
I just love the small-town feel of Portland.  The nice people behind us (our parents' age) were on their boat Friday night and gave "these nice young men with instruments" a lift from their yacht to the dock at East End.  Turns out the nice young men were Mumford & Sons, who gave them four tickets to the show.  And lo & behold, these folks, the Wallaces, have known my husband's family for more than 30 years.  See, that's what's so great.

I will never forget this event.  Everyone just having a great time.


You just don't get much more relaxed than this.
Enjoying the music & the scenery.



 I've listened to Sigh No More about five times today.  By the way, turns out there IS a literature connection here: "Sigh No More" is both a quote and a reference to Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing.  And I'll be pre-ordering Babel as soon as I post this blog ;-).



The finale: all the bands returned to the primary stage, and the whole place,
fans, musicians & all, sang "The Weight" at the top of our lungs.



And finished off with FIREWORKS!




Thank you, Gentlemen of the Road, for visiting us.
  Stop by Portland anytime. We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment