17 January 2014

"Mom.... you're such a nag.....but, um, thanks....."

Lately I've been nagging my son a LOT about finishing the details of some of his assignments.  Especially the "make up" worksheets to earn back some point on some less-than-awesome grades on quizzes and tests.

Wednesday night I was the meanest mom in the world.


But by Thursday night my son, 12 years old, mind you, actually THANKED me for nagging him.  "Mom, I'm glad you hassled me to get this work done.  If you didn't, I wouldn't have finished it, and I'm really glad I finished it after all!"

I don't want to own his work.  And I'm DEFINITELY not doing it for him.  But at this point in his life I will remind him incessantly until he gets it done.  Because first, it needs to get done.  And an even bigger second, I want him to feel the satisfaction of FINISHING THE TASK.  It feels really good to see something all the way to completion!

One thing I'VE seen to completion recently is the first step in my responsibilities for the Maine Reader's Choice Award.  My sub-group has submitted our recommendations to the committee for the two books we'll move forward to the rest of the group.  I'm quite sure we'll be making that list of 10 public.  I'll let you know when it goes live!

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Can't wait to see what your group has picked. Our group doesn't meet until the 28th. I'm reading furiously (well, trying to......).

    ReplyDelete